Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Our Year in Review

It's been awhile since I posted anything here. I'm failing miserably in my goal to keep this blog updated with high-tech Batesology. So here's a little recap of what we did last year.

2008 was a year of change for the House of Bates. The biggest and best change was the addition of a new member to our family: Henry David Bates. Henry was born on April 2nd of this year and is the fattest healthy little baby two parents could ever want. He has spent the last eight months learning the proper techniques for essential baby activities such as pooping his pants, spitting up on dad’s face, and crying at the top of his lungs at 2 a.m.

Owen started Kindergarten this year. Oddly, he hasn't been sent to the principal's office yet. In fact, he likes his teacher, Mr. Shawcroft, and is surprisingly well behaved. It makes me wonder what I am doing wrong at home.

Sam is in second grade. He loves his teacher, Mrs. Gremlich (I am not making that up, her name really is Mrs. Gremlich). He also started piano lessons.

Rachel is learning to juggle three kids and doing a fantastic job of it. She got a minivan at the start of the year, and both Sam and Owen are playing soccer. So now she’s a REAL soccer mom.

I got a new job and a new responsibilities at church. In August I left the Utah Attorney General’s Office and began working at the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office. I am a prosecutor on the office’s felony narcotics team, and I love it. Nothing beats watching homeless ID-thieving drug addicts getting cuffed and taken to jail, except maybe watching their girlfriends cry when it happens unexpectedly.

Shortly after starting at the DA’s office, I was called to serve as the Bishop of our ward. Let that be a warning to all of you out there that think you can avoid responsibilty by wearing a colored shirt to church and ignoring your home teaching assignments. I tried it. It doesn't work. It just makes you feel less prepared and more hypocritical when the call comes.

So that's the poo on the Bates family. We wish all of our friends and family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

1 comment:

MLE ~ Rowley :) said...

hey you guys are so cool! We miss you but it was awesome seeing you at Neale's birthday party last year! We would love to stay in touch with you. I have a blog too but it is only by invitation so I would need your email address so I can send you one. Mine is mle_rowley@q.com. Talk to you soon!